Newspaper Archive of
The Catalina Islander
Avalon, California
Lyft
August 6, 1924     The Catalina Islander
PAGE 10     (10 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 10     (10 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 6, 1924
 

Newspaper Archive of The Catalina Islander produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE TEN THE CATALINA SANTA CATALINA ISLAND july 1887, the trustees of the James Lick the hills may be seen the remnants of the JAMES W. JUMP estate sold Santa Catalina Island to Mr. Geo. lava waves as they flowed down the moun- HISTORICALLY REVIEWED Shatto for the sum of $200,000. An tain and cooled, and thus they remain to NEWLY ELECTED English mining syndicate later took an option this day, mutely testifying to the hot time on the property, and in 1892, after consider'- they once had on Catalina. CLUB PR] Santa Catalina Island has many other able litigation with the syndicate, Mr. Shat- AVALON BAY--On which the town of Statues that have been given to it by writers to sold the property directly to the Ban- Avalon is situatedt is a perfect crescent, with Of fame: "The Isle of Enchantment," "The ning Brothers. Mr. Shatto planned the town a sentinel rock etghty feet in height, called (Continued from Page 1: C Magic Isle," "Avalon the Baautitul," "The of Avalon, sold parcels of land for from $150 "Sugar Loaf," at its northwest entrance. Isle of Silence," "The Fisherman's Para- to $1000, according to the location, and er- The village of Avalon, laid out in 1888, is Howard S. Dudley, George disc, .... The Glorious Gem in the Opaline coted the first hotel of importance at Avalon. situated on the bay. It is a sheltered spot, Jr., H. W. Adams, Ralph Crown of the Golden State." It is one of Previous to the opening of the Hotel Met. protected from the wind from every quarter the most famous pleasure islands of the Pa- ropole, visitors camped in tents on the beach, with the exception of the northeast, from C. Brode, R. J. Cope, Her cific coast twenty-five miles from Los An- then known as "Timm's Landing." October which direction winds are rare. geles Harbor, and politically it is in Los 13, 1887, the possibilities of Avalon as a cliffe, F. H. Reed, Art Fuller, ~t~ageles county. It was first discovered in pleasure resort--"A Fisherman's Paradise," CHERRY VALLEY--The seat of an early mining excitement, where the hillsides are Hunt, J. T. Hurst, Carl F. 1542, then "re-discovered" in 1602. Later his- became known, and since that day it has honeycombed with tunnels. From 1862 to tory records private grants to 1892, when it been widely advertised. O. Kendall, Jackson W. was acquired by the Santa Catalina Island More than 200,000 tourists visit this en- tors1864 forthe preciousISland WaSmetals.SWarmingThewithseatPrOSpeC-of the Company, the corporation which still owns it, chanting isle each year. From 1892 to 1915, Mallen, R. C. Mankowski, A. although the ownership of the company has many hotels, apartment houses and private excitement seems to have been at Cherry changed, cottages were erected. Then followed a dis- Valley. Every foot of ground from the sea tin, L. G. Murphy, F. P. t~ev In 1919, Mr. William Wrigley, Jr., acquit- astrous fire that caused a loss of almost to the summit of the hills--and even running ed ownership of the Island and the boat$1,000,000. The historic "Metropole Hotel" out under the hills--was filed on as mining J. Bettinger, George E. l'ill~ equipment, comprising the Wilmington Trans- was completely destroyed, as were many oth- claims. Recently extensive deposits of lead C. Parsons,. George J. Tuckett, portation Company. er buildings located on the northwesterly and silver ores have been located here. Immediately after the reorganization of the side of the crescent-shaped "Bay of Moo~s." BIRD ISLAND, off the entrance to Isth-A. Van Brunt and Judge J. M, Santa Catalina Island Company (February "Greator Avalon," more beautiful charm- mus bay, is a huge rock. It is comparative- 1919), real estate in Avalon was placed ore ing and attractive, is now a reality,ly level and is about one acre in extent. It the market, and during the first year prac- A charming feature of Avalon is the board took its name from the vast number of birds The mainland pol/ticians are tically one million dollars worth of real es- walk along the sea shore, extendiug from which made it their home. When the Ban- busy in Avalon these days. late was sold to year-round or summer res- the Hotel St. Catherine to Pebbly Beach, a ning Company began improving the Isthmus idents. Under the stately eucalyptus trees in distance of two miles, it became apparent what a coign of vantage the territory formerly used by summer camp- That Catalina is rapidly becoming the Bird island might become in the hands ofAN ASA~DI~~ ers, the new real estate owners outrivaled each "Garden Spot of the World" is a fact. It is unscrupulous persons as a "Monte Carlo," or other in the construction of artistic bun~a- predicted that in five ~ears the Isthmus, now for other evil purposes, and the companyATTORNEY CLUB has bee~ ~ lows. For weeks house-movers were busy. Daffy an "Hawaiian Village' will bid very prom- forestalled any such contingency by taking ~ome ancient landmark dissappeared, and in isingly to become a sister rival to Avalon as possession of the little island, ized at Avalon, with Judge its place was commenced a permanent home. the "Queen Pleasure Resort of the Pacific." SEAL ROCKS---The home of the colony Windle as President and Judge In front of the dancing pavilion a new block of sea-lions which inhabit the Island. The of stores extended the business section of the POIN REST E. Daul as Secretary. Up to the colony consists of several hundred individuals, water front. Still greater improvements have and they are nearly always in evidence on ent writing practically all bralad lines been made in various parts of the town. seMT.BLACK JAC--K-----2000 feet above the the rocks. They do not bear fur, but are covered with a growth of coarse hair which business in Avalon are repre$ In 1920 the reorganized Wilmington Transportation Company added to its cross- varies in color from a very light brown to a in the membership ,of the club ~hannel fleet, then conststing of the steamers MY. ORIZABA--The highest point on the deep black. These sea-lions attain to quite Hermosa" and "Cabrillo," the splendid Island, 2109 feet. a large size, some of them weighing a ton from all indications the band ~r Steamship "Avalon," carrying .2000 p assen- SILVER CANYON--Almost opposite Av- or more. They are very partial to their gers, at a cost of half a mtlnon aottars,alon. Reached via the Summit and Hay home, and are seldom found ashore at any leading the parade for ASA K1 This year another new steamshipt the "Cat- Press canyon, other point. This is one of the most attrac- FOR DISTRICT ATTORNEY * -qua" costing $1,000,000, and wtth accomo- PARSON'S BEACH--A romantic spot, tire spots about the Island for the tourist, d'atio~ts for 3000 passengers, will be .added the last beach before reaching the westerly THE ISTHMUS--Narrowest point on the overloaded with voters repreS* to the fleet. The vessel was launchext ~ay end of the Island. Island, where it .is less than half a mile Catalina Island. Saturday night 3rd, and will be placed in commission in LITTLE HARBOR--A picturesque spot, from water to water. Great preparations are time to handle the summer travel, one of the three landing places on the sou. making to beautify this locality, and splen- Senator Charles E Lyons will d During 1919 and every summer since, many therly shore of the lsland, did boulevards, villa sits and a fine hotel visitors have come to Avalon in flying boats, GOVERNMENT QUARRIES---Where ira- are under contemplation. Several thousand an address from the balcony 0 which are ngw operated by the Pacific Mar- meuse quantities of stone for the San Pedro trees have been planted and are making a Band Box Theatre. ine Airways. The trip from San Pedro to breakwater were first obtaind, fine growth. Avalon is frequently made in less than 20 WIIITE'S LANDING---Four miles west- On February 5, 1864, Captain R. B. West, minute~. . erly from Avalon. A beautiful sandbeach commanding the Fourth California Infantry, Both the Island Villa and Villa Park have stationed at the Isthmus gave orders for all Mr. F. H. Reed while fishing recently been enlarged by the. addition tof. for baithers and picnic parties, miners to leave the Island. The govern- several hundred bungalettes, wmcn nave - SHIP ROCK lies off the Isthmusabout merit barracks is still intact at the Isthmus. the launch Angler, as a guest o two miles. It takes its name from its great ken the place of the canvas tents formerly resemblance to a ship under full sail. CAMP BANNING--Three miles to the Harry W. Adams, on Monday br t~ted, westward of Avalon. A beautiful spot, where In 1920 the Hotel Atwater was opened by AVALON HILL--In the center of Avalon the Y. M. C. A. boys of the nearby cities to gaff a marlin swordfish wet the Santa Catalina Island Company. It is from the top of which a comprehensive view are given a few weeks' outing annually, 158 pounds. Mr. Adams also Inn of the little city and its surroundings may be usually spending a portio~ of the months of located on Sumner avenue, near the water obtained. front. It is a very complete moaern hostelry. August and September in camp. Their camp- tuna weighing 51 pounds. By a st In 1919 the Hotel St. Catherine was open- FISHERMAN'S COVE---A little inlet on inn outfit consisting of more than a doen ed. This beautiful place, on the ocean front, the eastern side of the Isthmus Bay, forming tents, comprising officers' quarters, large coincidence, the fish caught by ~' company tents quartermaster's, hos ital de- C. Mankowski also weighed 158 IY in Descanso Canyon, one-half mile west of a perfect shelter tor small boats in any tentlon, etc., are mamtamed. Ample dmmg Avalon, is a veritable dream of loveliness, kind of a storm. - ' t. with service fully in keeping with its delight- EAGLE'S NEST--On the stage road, 11 quarters, where they have a huge range and and this angler on the same day ful location. The hotel has just been en- miles from Avalon, and located in a wild bake oven, soup boilers, etc., with capacity ed a tuna weighing 55 pounds. larged. (See illustration on page two.) section ot the interior. It is a capital place sufficient to feed an army, are permanent That the coming years will witness an for camping parties to visit, features of the camp. The boys are usully @yen more extensive developmet~t of Avalon MIDDLE RANCH--Ten miles in the in- given three weeks. --the queen of Pacific coast pleasure resorts terior, the only cultivated land on the is- Mr. C. Alma Baker, C. B. E., rt ;.--is certain, for it is rapidly taking its place land, and headquarters for the men looking A BILL ~ER PAiD as an all-the-year-round resort, after the sheep on the island, ed from the mainland Monday, Catalina Island's baseball park, the train- HOWLAND'S---Here also were many m/n- -------- spending several days visiting inn grounds for the Chicago Cubs is consid- inn claims, and here yet may be found "pros- "A ten-year-old lad overheard a COh- ered by experts to be the most unique of all pects" which would turn the head of many ~,~ix's ranch and other points c baseball grounds, a mining prospector. Here is the well from versatlon about certain bills to be paid With the introduction of steam shovels, which water is pumped to the Isthmus. and conceived the idea of making out terest. Mr. Baker is out after trucks, etc., many of the old trails have been LONG POINT--The widest point in the a bill for his own services. So the marlin swordfish. widened and made excellent roads. The road Island, 7~ miles. The interest attaching next morning he laid this statement of to Pebbly Beach, the site of Graham Bros., to Long Point, asside from that mentioned [~' rock quarry is a picturesque tho;oughfare is a cave which extends through the point of account on his mother's breakfast One day a young lady called oft along the shoreline toward Seal Rocks. rocks about 100 feet from its extremity, from plate: Since 1919 the Santa Catalina Island Corn- side to side. benstein, the great pianist, whO puny has spent nearly a million dollars de- "Mother owes Willie for carrying veloping water for Avalon. It has just corn- "ITALIA1V GARDENS"---A favorite fish- consented to listen to her playirJg' pleted a system which takes water from the inn point. In the earlier days of Catalina coal six times, 20 cents; for bringing large springs in Middle Ranch canyon snd the San Pedro fishermen found the waters water lots of times, 30 cents; for going "What do you think I shottld ~ here so prolific with fish that they called it ten errands, 25 cents." now?" she asked after she had pumps it to the Summit2 when. ce it is sent their garden, and gradually it came to be mto the water mains ot Avalon, ann may His mother read the bill, but said be piped to any other point on the Island known as "Italian Gardens.'~ ished. .Sip~ where needed. This new supply of good THE SUMMIT--A magnificent horseback nothing about It. That evening Willie Island water does away with the necessity for ride of three miles from Avalon up the stage found on h/s plate the 75 cents, ~.nd "Get married," was RubenSt bringing drinking water from the mainland, road or by the trail. No morepicturesque also another bill, which read as fob answer. Almost 75,000,000 gallons of fresh water ride can be imagined than this affords. The were used in Avalo~t /luring 1922. stage road is built on a ten percent grade, lows: "'Willie owes mother for hts Topographically, the Island is a series of This trip is made daily by auto stage, happy home for ten years, nothing; high, precRpitous mountains and deep can- CATALINA HARBOR--The bay putting for nursing him through a long illness, Ethel: I rather like that Y yons---dangerous gorges that have. a sc.tm.tc in from the south of the Isthmus, and the nothing; total, nothing." Doubleday. He has a good firm rr beauty almost indescribable. It rs slaty rmles best harbor on the Island. This harbor is and chin l Myrtle : Goodness!. in circumference, superficially 48,438 acres, nearly a mile in length, and-affords perfectly When Willie saw the seventy.five he been kissin ou, too ~ Philad The volcanic origin provided many inlets safe anchorage in any weather. It was once cents be was pleased; but when he . g Y "--" and bays that later collected silt and #'mall a port for smuggling operations on the Cal- read his mother's bill his eyes grew ta Public Ledger. pebbles, that now form the various beaches itornia coast. so popular among the visitors, anglers and, MOONSTONE BEACH--Half a mile be- dim and his lips quivered. Then he DO YOU -T-HAT campers. The great .charm and .attra.ctiv- yound Camp Banning, where moonstones, took the money to his mother, threw heSS of the Island is tts ideal setting in the agates, water opals and many other forms of his arms around her neck and begged MAGAZINE OR semi-tropical waters of the Pacific ?cean; its semi.precious stones are found. These stones mild and invigorating atmosphere; its utmost make beautiful souvenirs of the Island when that she would let him do lots of daily sunshine, and the soft and gentle bree- cut and polished. This beach is one of the things for her. They will last-~uch longer if sea that fan into restful quietude the weary points of interest most visited by tourists. Mother's bill is rarely presented, and exhausted wayfarer from the haunts of EMPIRE--The serpentine marble quarries but it will pay each pergon to think It are bound in a neat cover; a~d commercial activity, are located a mile and half inland. Here out and over for himself, and then pay The adjacent waters turnish many wonders. Radio Journal, or record, can be were located the factories of the aboriginal Fish and marine vegetation, the marine gar- Indians, who inhabited Santa Catalina. Num- dens, seen through glass.bottom boats,, are erous rocks in this vicinity show how the the delight and bewililerment ot many tl~ou- ancient inhabitant procured h/s culinary out- sands of tourists from all over the world, fit--from rock locally known as "soapstone." From 1602 to 1863, practically no histori- GOAT HARBOR--Formerly a favorie cal data is ava/lable that is of interest. It landing place for wild goat hunters, as the was "just an island in the Pacific ocean," hills and valleys in this vicinity abounded fn visited occasionally by vessels passing up and goats. Here also, was the first trail acrbss down the coast. Captain Phmeas Banning,the Island to Middle Ranch, and the lumber Mr. Harris Newmark, and a party of friends for the first buildings erected there was visited the Island in 1859, and the outin'g packed from this point across the hills on was considered a memorable one. The gold the backs of burros. mining boom commenced in 1863, when Mr.THE BLUE CAVERN---At the entrance James Lick bought the property for $80,000, to Isthmus bay. The formation at this point the title being a Mexican grant to Jose is purely volcanic, and caves abound. On Maria Covarrubins, confirmed by United States patent. Hundreds of mining claims were staked out near the Isthmus. At John- son's Cove streets were laid out for a town to be called Queen City. Then trouble com- menced: Cat~/lina Harbor became famous for smugglers, and for its eas~ accessibility to California and Mexican mwbreaft~'s, On Febrmtry 5th, 1864, Captain R..B. West, commanding the Fourth California InfantrY.t stationed at the Isthmus, gave orders tor art .~miners and prospeotors to leave. September 1864, the troopa were withdrawn, .and the barracks at the Iathmtts still stand to th~ memory of those thrilling days. Magazines! it in love and service. Write to the Catalina Light Tackle Club, P. O. Box 14, Avalon, California, for information about sea angling. "For Rent" and "For Sale" signs are on sale at Windle's News Stand. Subscribe now--S2 per year. Magazines! We are prepared to supply you with whatever Magazine you desire, if you will place your order NOW. Help us help you. Windle's News Stand served for future reference- about that old prayer book or Does it need a new cover? Let Islander do it for you. KINOX the SAFEST ANTISEI Non-Poisonous, Non-Irritating septic, Analegestic, Styptic, Pain goes almost like heals without leaving scars stimulates the growth of new fl Poison Oak, Ivy Poisonin: Indigestion, Ptomaine A half capsule in a tumbler will usually afford immediate The bite of a rabid dog, sr grave and dangerous sores. capsule and rub Kinox into alton. Convenient, Efficient, Family Size 25. At all Drug