Newspaper Archive of
The Catalina Islander
Avalon, California
Lyft
May 14, 1924     The Catalina Islander
PAGE 10     (10 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 10     (10 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 14, 1924
 

Newspaper Archive of The Catalina Islander produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE TEN THE CATALINA SANTA CATALINA ISLAND july 1887, the trustees of the James Lick POINTS OF INTEREST Valley. Every fOOt of ground from estate sold Santa Catalina Island to Mr. Gee. to the summit of the hills--and evesI HISTORICALLY REVIEWED a. Shatto for the sum of $200,000. An out under the hill .... s filed on ~s English mining syndicate later took an option MT. BLACK JACK--2000 feet above the claims. Recently extensive on the property, and in 1892t after conside?- sea. and silver ores have been Santa Catalina Island has many other able litigation with the syndicate, Mr. Shat- MT. ORIZABA--The highest point on the BIRD ISLAND, off the entrance names that have been given to it by writers to sold the property directly to the Ban- Island, 2109 feet. mug bay is a huge rock. It is cote of fame "The Isle of Enchantment," "The ning Brothers. Mr. Shatto planned the town SILVER CANYON--Almost opposite Av- ly level and is about one acre in ex Magic Isle," "Avalon the Beautiful," "The of Avalon, sold parcels of land for from $150 alon. ReachedviatheSummit and Hay took its name from the vast number Isle of Silence," "The Fisherman's Pars- to $1000, according to the location, and er- Press canyon, which made it their home. When dise," "The Glorious Gem in the Opaline acted the first hotel of importance at Avalon. PARSON'S BEACH--A romantic spot, ning Company began improving the Crown of the Golden State." It is one ofPrevious to the opening of the Hotel Met- the last beach before reaching the westerly it became apparent what a coign of the most famous pleasure islands of the Pa- ropole, visitors camped in tents on the beach, end of the Island. Bird Island might become in the l cific coast, twenty-five miles from Los An- then known as "Ttmm's Landing." October LITTLE HARBOR--A picturesque spot, unscrupulous persons as a "Monte C geles Harbor, and politically it is in Los 13, 1887, the possibilities of Avalon as a one of the three landing places on the sou- for other evil purposes, and the Angeles county. It was first discovered in pleasure resort--"A Fisherman's Paradise," therly shore of the Island. forestalled any such contingency bY 1542, then "re-discovered" in 1602. Later his- became known, and since that day it has GOVERNMENT QUARRIES--Where ira- possession of the little island. tory records private grants to 1892, when it been widely advertised. manse quantities of stone for the San Pedro SEAL ROCKS--The home of the was acquired by the Santa Catalina Island More than 200,000 tourists visit this an- breakwater were first obtaind, of sea-lions which inhabit the Isl Company, the corporation which still owns it, chanting isle each year. From 1892 to 1915, although the ownership of the company has many hotels, apartment houses and private WIIITE'S LANDING--Four miles west- colony consists of several hundred i cottages were erected. Then followed a dis- erly from Avalon. A beautiful sand beach and they are nearly always in e~ changed, for baithers and picnic parties, the rocks. They do not bear fu: In 1919, Mr. William Wrigley, Jr., acquir- astrous fire that caused a loss of almost ed ownership of the Island and the boat $1,000,000. The historic "Metropole Hotel" SHIP ROCK lies off t~e Isthmusabout covered with a growth of coarse ] equipment, comprising the Wilmington Trans- was completely destroyed as were many oth- two miles. It takes its name from its great varies in color from a very light b portation Company. er buildings located on the northwesterly resemblance to a ship under full sail. deep black. These sea-lions attalt a large size some of them weigh Immediately after the reorganization of the side of the crescent-shaped "Bay of Moons." AVALON HILIc--In the center of Avalon or more. They are very partial Santa Catalina Island Company (February "Greater Avalon," more heautiful, charm- from the top of which a comprehensive view home, and are seldom found asho 1919), real estate in Avalon was placed on ing and attractive, is now a reality, of the little city and its surroundings may be A charming feature of Avalon is the board obtained, other point. This is one of the m the market and during the first year prac- walk along the sea shore, extendin~ from FISHERMAN'S COVE--A little inlet on tive spots about the Island for the tically one million dollars worth of real as- the Hotel St. Catherine to Pebbly Beach, a the eastern side of the Isthmus Bay, forming THE 1STHMUS--Narrowest pol tare was sold to year.round or summer res- distance of two miles, a perfect shelter forsmallboatsin any Island, where it is less than ha idents. Under the stately eucalyptus trees in That Catalina is rapidl~r becnmlng the kind of a storm, from water to water. Great prepat the territory formerly used by summer camp- "Garden Spot of the World' is a fact. It is EAGLE'S NEST--On the stage road, 11 making to beautify, this locality, did boulevards, villa sits and a ers, the new real estate owners outrivaled each predicted that in five years the Isthmus, now miles from Avalon and located in a wild are under contemplation. Several other in the construction of artistic bungs- an "Hawaiian Village" will bid very prom- section of the interior. It is a capital place trees have been tdanted and are lows. For weeks house-movers were busy. Daily isingly to become a sister rival to Avalon as for camping parties to visit. some ancient landmark dissappeared, and in the"QueenPleasure Resort of thePacif.c." fine growth. its place was commenced a permanent home. MIDDLE RANCH--Ten miles in the in- On February 5, 1864, Captain R. In front of the dancing pavilion a new block terior, the only cultivated land onthe is. " of stores extended the business section of the land, and headquarters for the menlooking water front. Still greater improvements have since been made in various parts of the town. In 1920 the reorganized Wilmington Transportation Company added to its cross- channel fleet then consisting of the steamers "Hermosa" and Cabrillo," the splendid steamship "Avalon," carrying 2000 passen- gers, at a cost of half a million dollars. This ~ear another new steamship, the "Cat- alina,' costing $1,000,000, and with accomo- dations for 3000 passengers, will be added to the fleet. The vessel was launched May 3rd, and will be placed in commission in time to handle the summer travel. " During 1919 and every summer since, many visitors have come to Avalon in flying boats, which are now operated by the Pacific Mar- ine Airways. The trip from San Pedro to Avalon is frequently made in less than 20 minutes. Both the Island Villa and Villa Park have recently been enlarged by the addition of several hundred bungalettes, which have ta- ken the place of the canvas tents formerly used. In 1920 the Hotel Atwater was opened by the Santa Catalina Island Compan~t. It is located on Sumner avenue, near the water front. It is a very complete modem hostelry. In 1919 the Hotel St. Catherine was open- ed, This beautiful place, on the ocean front, in Descanso Canyon, one-half mile west of Avalon, is a veritable dream of loveliness, with service fully in keeping with its delight- ful location. The hotel has just been an- large& (See illustration on page two.) That the coming years will witness an even more extensive development of Avalon ---the queen of Pacific coast pleasure resorts ~is certain, for it is rapidly taking its place as an all-the-year-round resort. Catalina Island's baseball park, the train- ing grounds for the Chicago Cubs is consid- ered by experts to be the most unique of all baseball grounds. With the introduction of steam shovels, trucks, etc., many of the old trails have been widened and made excellent.roads. The road to Pebbly Beach, the site of Grahom Bros., rock quarry is a picturesque tho,'oughfare along the shoreline toward Seal Rocks. Since 1919 the Santa Catalina Islanit Com- pany has spent nearly a million dollars de- veloping water for Avalon. It oas just com- ~aleted a system which takes water from the rge springs in Middle Ranch canyon and pumps it to the Summit, whence it is sent Into the water mains of ~X.valml, and may be piped to any other point on the Island where needed. This new supply of good Island water does away with the necessity for bringing drinking water from the mainland. Almost 75,000,000 gallons of fresh water were used in Avaloa duriag 1922. Topographically, the Island is a series of high, precltpitous mountains and deep can- ~ons---dangerous gorges that have a scenic eauty almost indescribable. It is sixty miles in circumference, superficially 48,438 acres. The volcanic origin provided many inlets and bays that later collected silt and mnall pebbles, that now form the various beaches so popular among the visitors, anglers and campers. The great charm and attractive- ness of the Island is its ideal setting in the semi-tropical waters of the ~acific ocean; its mild and invigoratifig atmosphere; its almost daily sunshine, and the soft and gentle bree- zes that fan into restful quietude the weary and exhausted wayfarer from the haunts of commercial activity The adjacent waters lurnish many wonders. Fish and marine vegetation, the marine gar- dens, seen through glass-bottom boats, are the delight and bewilderment of many thou- ~ands of tourists from all over the world. From 1602 to 1863, practically no histori- cal data is available that is of interest. It was "just an island m the Pacific ocean," visited occasionally by vessels passing up and down the coast. Captain Phineas Banning, Mr. Harris Newmark, and a party of friends visited the Island in 1859, and the outin'g was considered a memorable one. The gold mining boom commenced in 1863, when Mr. James Lick bought the property for $80,000, the title being a Mexican grant to Jose Maria Covarrubias, confirmed by United States patent. Hundreds of mining claims were staked out near the Isthmus. At John- son's Cove streets were laid out for a town to be called Queen City. Then trouble com- menced: Catalina Harbor became famous for smugglers, and for its easy accessibility to California and Mexican lawbreakers. On February 5th, 1864, Captain R. B. West, commanding the Fourth California Infahtry, stationed at the Isthmus, gave orders for all miners and prospectors to leave. September 1864, the troops were withdrawn, and the barracks at the Isthmus still stand to the memory of those thrilling days. A BILL THAT IS NEVER PAID m A ten-year-old lad overheard a con- versation about certain bills to be paid and conceived the idea of making out a bill for his own services. So the next morning he laid this statement of account on his mother's breakfast plate: "Mother owes Willie for carrying coal six times, 20 cents; for bringing after the sheep on the island. HOWLAND'S---Here also were many min- ing claims, and here yet may be found "pros- pects" which would turn the head of many a mining prospector. Here is the well from which water is pumped to the Isthmus. LONG POINT--The widest point in the Island, 7 miles. The interest attaching to Long Point, asside from that mentioned is a cave which extends through the point of rocks about 100 feet from its extremity, from side to side. "ITALIAN GARDENS"--A favorite fish- irvg point. In the earlier days of Catalina Catalina Country Club Clubhouse water lots of times, 30 cents; for going ten errands, 25 cents." His mother read the bill, but said nothing about It. That evening Willie found on his plate the 75 cents, and also another bill, which read as fol- lows: "Willie owes mother for his happy home for ten years, nothing; for nursing him through a long illness, nothing; total, nothing." When Willie saw the seventy-five cents he was pleased; but when he read his mother's bill his eyes grew dim and his lips quivered. Then he took the money to his mother, threw his arms around her neck and begged that she would let him do lots of things for: her. Mother's bill is rarely presented, but it will pay each person to think it out and over for himself, and then pay it in love and service. GAME FISH OF CATALINA Yellowtail (Seriola dorsalis). Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus thynnus). Yellowfin Tuna (Thunnus macrop- terus). Albacore (Thunnus alalonga). California Bonito (Sarda Chiliensis) White Sea Bass (Cynoscion noblis). Ocean Bonito (Gymnosarda pelamys). Dolphin (Coryphaenus hippurus). Giant Bass (Stereolepis gigas). Marlin Swordfish (Tetrapturus mitsu- kurii). Broadbill Swordfish (Xiphias gladius). Catalina will give you the rest of your life, Come to Catalina. Renew your subscription to The Catalina Islander, $2 per year. the San Pedro fishermen found the waters here so prolific with fish that they called it their garden, and gradually it came to be known as "Italian Gardens." THE SUMMIT--A magnificent horseback ride of three miles from Avalon up the stage road or by the trail. No more _picturesque ride can be imagined than this affords. The stage road is built on a ten percent grade. This trip is made daily by auto stage. CATALINA HARBOR--The bay putting in from the south of the Isthmus, and the best harbor on the Island. This harbor is nearly a mile in length, and affords perfectly safe anchorage in any weather. It was once a port for smuggling operations on the Cal- ifornia coast. MOONSTONE BEACH--Half a mile be- yound Camp Banning, where moonstones, agates, water opals and many other forms of semi-precious stones are found. These stones make beautiful souvenirs of the Island Cohen cut and polished. This beach is one of the points of interest most visited by tourists. EMPIRE--The serpentine marble quarries are located a mile and half inland. Here were located the factories of the aboriginal Indians, who inhabited Santa Catalina. Num- erous rocks in this vicinity show how the ancient inhabitant procured his culinary out- fit--from rock locally known as "soapstone." GOAT HARBOR--Formerly a favorie landing place for wild goat hunters, as the hills and valleys in this vicinity abounded in goats. Here also, was the first trail acrbss the Island to Middle Ranch, and the lumber for the first buildings erected there was packed from this point across the hills on the backs of hurros. THE BLUE CAVERN--At the entrance to Isthmus bay. The formation at this point is purely volcanic and caves abound. On the hi Is may be seen the remnants of the lava waves as they flowed down the moun- tainand cooled, and thus they remain to thisday, mutely testifying to the hot time "they once had on Catalina. AVALON BAY--On which the town of Avalon is situated, is a perfect crescent, with a sentinel rock eighty feet in height, called "Sugar Loaf," at its northwest entrance. The village of Avalon, laid out in 1888, is situated on the bay. It is a sheltered spot, protected from the wind from every quarter with the exception of the northeast, from which direction winds are rare. CHERRY VALDEY--The seat of an early mining excitement, where the hillsides are honeycombed with tunnels. From 1862 to 1864 the Island was swarming with prospec- tors for precious metals. The seat of the excitement seems to have been at Cherry commanding the Fourth California stationed at the Isthmus, gave miners to leave the Island. ment barracks is still intact at the CAMP BANNING--Three miles westward of Avalon. A beautiful the Y. M. C. A. boys of the are given a few weeks' outing usually spending a portion of the August and September in camp. ins outfit cons.fating of more than tents, comprising officers' quarterS~ company tents, quartermaster's tentlon, etc., are maintained. quarters, where they have a hug, bake oven, soup boilers, etc., sufficient to feed an army, are features of the camp. The boys are given three weeks. August Carlson, who conducts of Avalon's fine string of has returned for the summer. On page eight you will find for the Windle News Stand. have pipes that are reinforced aluminum and unbreakable on sale week. Frank Burgess says that are a big value for fifty cents "KEEP ON KEEPING ON" When a traveling companion marked to William Wrigley that could "save money" by cutting his advertising, Mr. Wrigley aponded: "We're making a fine on this train. How much do you think we should make they took off the locomotive?" Catalina--"in all the world no like " " thts. Magazines, newspapers, candies, at WINDLE'S NEWS STAND. BOATMEN AND BOAT5 Any of the following Catalina men will furnish amateur anglers light tackle if they so desire: Boatmen Launches Jsohn Edmundson Adelaide J. Goulding Ruth Smith Warren Fortuna Hugh MacKay Manana Parker Pence Sh'orty "Yellowtail John" Dragon Tad Grey Swastika Harry E. Nichols Vera J. J. Bates Helen B. L. Mott Mable F. M. Foster Sunbeam Enos Vera Carrie Fred Arce Ethel O. I. Danielson Letta D. A. E. Eaton Leona Capt. Nordquist Vampire O. W. Cole Myrtle F. Ashbridge Grace IL C. Wickman Maitland B. D. Halstead Barney John Wegmann Dixie Elmer E. Anderson Andy Alex Adargo Keywe Watch the world come to